It’s Pet Poison Prevention Month
National Poison Prevention Week is officially recognized March 19-25. Here at Lindsay’s Pet Care Services, the safety of the animals in our care is extremely important to us. We continuously educate ourselves on pet toxins and how to prevent/handle poisoning emergencies. Here, we have compiled a list of the TOP 10 pet poisons for you to look out for in your home in hopes that you can be educated as well:
– Chocolate contains a substance known as methylxanthines which causes vomiting when small doses are ingested, but can be the cause of death if large doses are ingested. Dark chocolate is known to have a higher amount of this substance. Smaller dogs are at a greater risk.
- Mouse and Rat Poisons
-These products are made to kill. Enough said.
- Vitamins and Minerals (e.g., Vitamin D3, iron, etc.)
-What is good for humans, is not always good for pets & can have a reverse effect. Please look up a list of vitamins & minerals that are safe & beneficial for your pets before giving them human pills.
- NSAIDs (e.g., ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.
– Can cause kidney failure as well as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea & gastric ulcers. Please consult with your vet before administrating any over- the counter medicine to your pets.
- Cardiac Medications (e.g., calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, etc.)
-Although calcium channel blockers are commonly used in veterinary medicines, an overdose can result to a slowed heart rate & eventually heart failure.
- Cold and Allergy Medications (e.g., pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, etc.)
– capable of causing agitation/restlessness, increased heart rate & blood pressure, muscle tremors, seizures and even death depending on the dose ingested. If a product name is followed by “D” (ex. Mucinex-D, Claritin-D, Allegra-D, etc), it likely contains pseudoephedrine.
- Antidepressants (e.g., selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)
-This can cause vomiting, an increase in temperature, blood pressure, heart rate & may cause seizures.
-Also known as a “knock off” sugar, causes rapid drop in blood sugar which results in weakness & seizures.
- Acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol)
-This is very toxic to dogs, but more-so to cats. This can cause liver failure & a decrease in oxygen to body tissue. Cats usually develop swelling.
- Caffeine Pills/Coffee beans
– Pets are very sensitive to caffeine and within a couple hours of exposure they will endure mild to severe hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, elevated heart rate, elevated blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures, and collapse.
- Household Cleaners
– Cleaners such as bleach, drain cleaner, detergent etc. are extremely harmful to pets. Do not induce vomiting when a pet has ingested any chemical. These chemicals can cause burning as they are swallowed & secondary additional burns when coming back up.
- Lilies/ Azaleas/Dumb Cane/Tulip & Daffodil plants
-There are many plants that are very poisonous to cats. These are the top 5 most common household plants that are the leading cause of vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, oral irritation & sometimes death.
- Glow Sticks
-While Glow Sticks may not be deadly, they can cause a mild to moderate reaction, especially in cats. Glow sticks contain what is called dibutyl phthalate which will cause drooling, gagging & can cause irritation in the eyes & skin which creates a burning sensation.
If you think your fur-kid has ingested any of these items or any other substance that may be harmful to them please contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435. Experts at the APCC are available to answer questions and provide guidance 24 hours a day for a $60 consultation fee. Another option is the Pet Poison Helpline at (800) 213-6680 with a fee of $49 per incident.